Winter is coming, and with it comes higher heating bills. It’s easy to feel like you’re powerless in the face of rising energy prices, but there are ways to save on your heating costs. We’ve put together 10 tips and tricks on how to lower your heating bills this winter!
- One method for reducing your heating bill? Insulate your roof, walls, and floors. This will keep the heat in and stop it from escaping through cracks into the cold winter air. It’s a great way to lower heating bills!
- Another way to save money on heating bills? Change out your furnace filters regularly. Dirty filters mean that you’re pushing unfiltered hot air into your home while trapping dust particles inside of it – not exactly ideal for reducing high heating costs! Make sure to change them every month or so, and be thorough when cleaning them with water and soap if they get too dirty.
- Clean off any snow on top of outdoor vents before turning up the thermostat settings during colder days. While this might seem obvious, homeowners often neglect to do this simple step which can result in wasted energy and money.
- Another trick to save money on heating? Program your thermostat to adjust the temperature automatically when you’re not home. This can help reduce heating costs by up to 30%.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure to use it! A roaring fire will heat up your home much more efficiently than the furnace ever could – and it’s a great way to relax after a long day too. Just be careful not to let the fire get out of control!
- Keep blinds, curtains and drapes closed during colder days. This helps keep the warm air inside where it belongs instead of letting it escape through the windows.
- Bundle up! Wear layers of clothing indoors as well as outdoors to stay warm.
- Close off unused rooms in your house. You might not need a guest bedroom or spare bathroom, so why heat it if you don’t have to?
- Caulk and weatherstrip around windows and doors where you see gaps in insulation. This will help keep warm air inside during the winter months instead of letting cool outside air seep through cracks into your house – lowering heating costs significantly!
- The best method for how to save money on your heating bill? Perform annual maintenance on your furnace. This will keep it running as efficiently as possible, which translates into lower heating bills. How important is heating & air conditioning maintenance? Very!
Are you ready to lower your heating costs? Contact Unique Indoor Comfort today! We offer services for heating in Chicagoland and elmhurst that can help you.