When winter sets in, many homeowners often wonder: “Should I cover my air conditioner?” Is there anything special you should do to winterize your AC for the winter?
The first thing you ought to know is, your AC is designed to be outside. It’s designed to withstand harsh weather conditions such as rain, hail, snow, and even sleet. The question “should I cover my AC unit in the winter?” has for years been a subject of debate. There are several advantages and disadvantages to covering your AC.
Should you cover your air conditioner in the winter?
Should I cover my air conditioner in the winter? The short answer is no. However, there are situations that may require you to cover it.
Disadvantages of covering outdoor AC unit
- If you cover the entire AC unit, moisture may be trapped inside the system due to the high humid environment. This could end up causing rust and corrosion. Also, inside your AC are electrical wires, circuit boards, and other wiring connections. When these parts are exposed to moisture, it’s not good news.
- Covering your outdoor AC unit could also block the proper flow of air to the system. This can lead to the growth of molds on the evaporator coils, which eventually blocks proper airflow and reduces your system’s efficiency.
- Covering your outdoor AC unit can also attract rodents and other animals to live there. They may like to shelter inside your system while escaping the harsh winter weather. This could lead to issues such as chewed electrical wires, which could affect your system’s performance.
Advantages of covering outdoor AC units
- It helps keep your AC coils clean. This helps your system run efficiently once the winter season is over.
- Covering outdoor AC units also helps prevent debris such as sticks, leaves or other yard wastes from sneaking into your unit.
- It can also help stop water from directly resting on the AC’s coils and freezing. If this happens, it could damage your system.
If you’re planning on covering your outdoor AC units, there are a variety of covers available in the market e.g., mesh air-conditioner covers. However, it’s important you don’t cover the entire unit with the cover. Only cover the top of the AC unit.
If your HVAC system is experiencing problems, it’s important to have it inspected by professionals. Get in touch with Unique Indoor Comfort Heating & Cooling Hinsdale and Air Conditioner Repair Services Palatine for top-notch HVAC services.